Walking Hampstead Heath (the Last Day in London)

April 11th. Today is practically the last day of my London trip. All I'll do tomorrow is to leave London from Gatwick Airport. My daughter has many things that I have to bring back to Japan -- souvenirs for her sister, her own stuff and four heavy books etc. She is going to come to my hotel at 2:00 p.m. to check whether the capacity of my 65L rucksack is enough or not. If the size is not enough, I have to use her large suitcase.

I have enough time to do something until she comes. The bus stop of the 24 line bus is in front of my hotel, and the bus is bound for Hampstead Heath. I suddenly realized that if I got on the bus, I was able to go to Hampstead Heath directly. I decided to go. I would be able to return by 2:00 p.m.

There were few passengers in the bus. So I got a seat at the front upstairs because of enjoying the view from the window. The weather forecast said it was fine today, but it was raining a little when I got on the bus.

I didn't know it, but the 24 line bus went through main tourist spots in London from the south to the north, for example, Victoria Station, Westminster, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, the British Museum, UCL, Regent's Park, Camden Market and Hampstead Heath. I knew this efficient bus line, but I would have to leave tomorrow.

I got off the bus at the terminal. The street was quiet and nice. I went into a cafe to hide from the rain. There are few people in London who put up an umbrella in the rain. I went out to the park when the rain eased off.

 Hampstead Heath is out of the level. It is not so much a park as a hill and woods. I went north. You cannot walk without a map and compass because of poor visibility due to trees. Some people were jogging or walking with dogs, even in the rain.

The northern half of the park is Kenwood's estate. There was a fence and a small gate with a notice. The trees in the woods were thicker. When I found the Wood Pond, a white huge mansion emerged from the trees. It was Kenwood House. What dramatic impact it is! It had already stopped raining.

Hampstead Heath




Kenwood House


the Wood Pond

Kenwood House

The inside is open to the public for free. After enjoying watching the interiors, I headed south toward the bus terminal. I had to return to my hotel soon. Parliament Hill is the highest point around London and the best viewing point of the skyline of the center of London. I asked the direction of the bus terminal to a woman, who was walking around, to check the right direction again.

the entrance

the interior



the cafe



Parliament Hill

I bought two sweet buns and a bottle of juice for lunch at a small grocery along the street and got on the 24 line bus.

My daughter had already arrived at my hotel. We tried to pack all things in my rucksack and we could.

Today is the last day in London for me. I wanted to go to Covent Garden and eat a lamb steak in London. I hoped it to her. We went to Oxford Circus and Angel to buy some souvenirs. In the evening, I enjoyed the atmosphere and watching street performances at Covent Garden. The restaurant, near there, where my daughter took me was nice. She wanted me to see the night viewing of illuminated Big Ben. But dusk in London was late. We gave up to see it and I got on the 24 bus at Trafalgar Square to return to my hotel.

Covent Garden

Covent Garden

Big Ben from Trafalgar Square

Next morning, my daughter came to my hotel and went to Victoria Coach Station together. She had got the bus tickets to Gatwick Airport in advance. I left London by the afternoon flight. She sent me off at the airport. It was wonderful ten days. (END)

Comments

  1. It seems like you had a great trip to London. You have to rewrite your blogmura profile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great experience for me.
      Thank you very much. I have to rewrite my profile.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dawkins Scale

Flowers at Dusk

Totoro Trail and the flying carp