The First Day in London


I arrived at Heathrow Airport in the afternoon on April 3rd. I was able to find my daughter soon at the arrival lobby. We headed for the Hotel at Gloucester Road. The scenery from my train window tells me that I am in London now. But I strangely felt like that this was not the first visit and the scenery was familiar for me.

I checked in at the hotel and dumped my 65L rucksack. We went to Piccadilly Circus to buy a SIM card of my tablet at a Vodafone shop. But the shop had already closed for the day. Since my daughter had a work, she walked away. I had a plenty of time and walked to Hyde Park to feel the air in London. Soon it began to rain and I didn't think the rain would stop soon, I took a train at Hyde Park Corner to Gloucester Road. I noticed I had no money, so I changed 3,000 yen that was all I had then to pound at a currency exchange shop in front of the underground train station. I bought some food and wine for dinner at Tesco soon.


Queen's Gate


High Street Kensington

The next day was practically the first day in London for me. My daughter does work, so I have to move by myself all day today. I found there was a Vodafone shop in High Street Kensington, and went out to buy a SIM card around 9.30. While I was walking along Queen's Gate, I was overwhelmed by old-fashioned buildings and the landscape, and I took many pictures. But I got used to it soon. In the Vodafone shop, the top-up system had not worked yet, so I had to come again two hours later. I went into a Uniqlo store to browse near the shop and hang around in Kensington Garden to kill time. It was very cold and windy, so I went back to my hotel to wear a thick sweater for winter. It rained off and on in the morning and I often put on and off a rain gear, so I lost my London map that I bought on amazon before leaving Japan. About noon, I went to the Vodafone shop again. I told the clerk right to the point that I wanted to buy a pay as you go micro SIM card, 1GB per a month for only data. It cost 10 pounds including tax without any other fee and no showing my passport.

After getting out of the shop, I noticed I didn't know how to activate the card. I didn't get any manual. I returned soon and asked a clerk, "It's embarrassing, but I don't know how to activate it." He told me that I didn't need any activation and only wait for two hours. I asked again, "Doesn't it need any APN or password or anything?" "No, only wait." My tablet connected with 4G two hours later.

I had lunch at this stand

Kensington Palace

Kensington Palace

Kensington Garden

Sign Post in Kensington Garden


Kensington Garden

Cherry blossoms in Kensington Garden

Kensington Garden

I bought a hotdog and a cup of coffee at a refreshment stand at one of the gates of Kensington Garden. This is my lunch of the day. After roaming about the park, I headed for Notting Hill. Around Notting Hill Gate underground station was very crowded. Any market might have been held. The area around the station is located on a hill. I walked down to the west and turned right, and walked up to the north. I arrived at St John's Notting Hill Church. According to "Secret London" the church stands the top of the hill. This place is exactly Notting Hill. The hill descends to the Thames with some rolling grounds. It seems to be called the Thames Valley.



Notting Hill Gate Station

St. John's Notting Hill Church

Holland Walk

in Kyoto Garden

In Kyoto Garden

Kyoto Garden

After going back down the hill, I crossed the road and went into narrow Holland Walk to Holland Park. Kyoto Garden in Holland Park was not large but a beautiful Japanese garden. I sat on a bench and took off my shoes and rested for a while. I've already been tired from walking. Many tourists were visiting. I thought there were many French tourists in the garden. "This is exactly an authentic Japanese garden." I felt like saying so proudly.

Hyde Park

Hyde Park

Hyde Park

I had enough time to go back to the hotel. I went to Kensington Garden again. I might have no chance to go to Hyde Park again, so I went way down east. I walked in Hyde Park from the north end to Serpentine Lake. After that, I headed for my hotel in the dusk of the evening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dawkins Scale

Flowers at Dusk

Totoro Trail and the flying carp