Walking the River Lea (3rd day)

It was about five years ago that I got interested in the River Lea and hoped to walk for the the first time. I happened to know that the River Lea is the second largest river around London after the Thames, and the headstream appears at a park in a village. In Japan, most rivers begin in mountains. I read a blog about the River Lea with interest those days (see: London geezer).

I thought of a long walk or cycling for about 100 km from Leagrave to 2012 Olympic Park at first when I decided to visit London in January. But I soon realized the plan was unrealistic for a short-term tourist. At last I shortened the plan to walk from Ware to Tottenham Hale. In fact I gave up walking at Cheshunt though.

Liverpool Street Station

the platform

I decided to go to the River Lea when I checked the weather forecast yesterday. It was already around 8:30 when I got to Liverpool Street Station. I bought two sweet buns and a small bottle of juice at Tesco in front of the station. Thanks to my daughter's instruction yesterday, I was able to buy a train ticket to Ware with a ticket-vending machine for 10.1 pounds. It was too expensive. I got the platform number of my train at the information desk. There were few passengers in my train bound for Hertford East.

 It took about 50 minutes to Ware. There was no toilet in Ware Station, and also there was no ticket collector. I arrived easily at the path along the River Lea with Google Map and GPS. I was impressed by the scenery with River Lea Navigation and some narrow boats soon. I found a narrow boat and a middle aged couple living on the boat and asked, "Can I take a picture? I came here to walk River Lea from Japan," The husband talked to me friendly but I couldn't understand what he said at all because of my poor English skill. I made a side trip to Amwell. I've heard that Amwell is one of the most beautiful villages around London.

Ware

a narrow boat


Hardmead Lock


Amwell


Amwell Nature Reserve

I couldn't find any toilet in the public parking at St Margarets. As a result, I couldn't use a toilet until a public parking at Dobb's Weir. It was the only toilet through the course I walked. The next toilet for me was in a shopping mall at Tottenham Hale.

Stanstead Lock



Rye House Gatehouse



Fields Weir Lock

There were many visitors and families enjoying hiking or cycling from around Broxbourne to Cheshunt. It was unexpectedly too hot and I had already no water. I also hurt my heel from overwalking everyday. At 3:00 p.m. I gave up walking and decided to take a train to go to Tottenham Hale from Cheshunt. I walked the core of Lee Valley Walk and had a sense of fulfillment.

the Fish & Eels



Carthagena Lock

People living on a narrow boat

around Broxbourne



Cheshunt Lock


I bought a ticket to Tottenham Hale at Cheshunt Station. The station staff asked me which I wanted a round trip or one-way ticket. One-way ticket cost 6.5 pounds, only about 13 km. She kindly told me the train would arrive in about 5 minutes at the opposite platform. She was beautiful.

Cheshunt Station

South Kensington

I got in touch with my daughter through email at a cafe in ASDA at Tottenham Hale. We met at 6:0 p.m. at South Kensigton and had dinner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flowers at Dusk

Dawkins Scale

Totoro Trail and the flying carp